Van Trekker

Checkout my vandwelling blog at http://vantrekker.com/ Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Crab Quiches - Lower in Fat, Very Convenient!

Real men don't eat quiche?  Nobody told my tomcat!


There is a reason I named that cat "Jesse James".  I went to get the camera and he went for the quiche.  I caught him before any damage was done.  Yes, a bunch went into his bowl and he ate it!  I took it as a compliment.  :)





A small casserole - just right for two or one hungry guy!
 
 
This yummy food got a bad rap thanks to a book called "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche".   I wonder how many people the book scared away... Quiche is just a sort of baked omelet in a pie crust... There's nothing effeminate about that!  What guy doesn't like a big old fried up pile of eggs with everything but the kitchen sink?
 

Quiche in a small pie tin
for a perfect breakfast treat!
For the next camping trip, I decided that cooking just isn't a priority but home cooked food will be.  There will be the usual fried trout and such but I decided to make up some goodies in advance.  Quiches would be perfect because they freeze well and with the vacuum sealer, I could make up a half dozen in advance.

The challenge was to use an egg substitute (generic egg beaters) to lower the fat content.  The half 'n' half used in the first test was actually pilfered coffee creamers from McDonalds.  The mayonnaise used in the recipe came in the form of packets leftover from a trip to Chick-Fil-A.  Yeah, I'm kind of a condiment klepto...  Just remember one packet of mayo or 1 coffee creamer are each 1T.  Who needs to measure?
 
So here's the recipe that Mr. Jesse risked his life trying to steal...  It turned out pretty good!
 
Crab Camping Quiche
Pie crust (see below)
1 C egg beaters or equivalent eggs
6-8 ounces of the GOOD lump crab meat from the refrigerated section (pouch or canned)
1/2 C fontina cheese, shredded
1/2 C mild cheddar cheese shredded
1/2 C half and half (8 coffee creamers)
3T light mayonnaise (3 packets if you snitch them)
1/2t Old Bay seasoning
1/2C chopped green onions (and green parts, too!)
1/2t garlic salt
pepper to taste
 
optional - 1/4 imitation crab meat to decorate top
 
 
Directions:
 
Press the pie crust into small pie tins or casseroles.  This recipe makes enough for 4 small pie tins or 2 small pie tins and one small casserole.  Pre-bake the pie crusts for about 6 minutes at 350 degrees.
 
Mix the half-n-half, egg substitute, mayo, cheeses, veggies, and seasoning together.  Add in the crab meat and mix well.  Divide and pour into the pie crusts.  Decorate with imitation crab meat and more green onions if desired.
 
Bake at 325 to 350 degrees until top is set and a toothpick comes out clean (times can vary but mine took about 20 minutes).  If you use egg substitute, you might get a very high dome on your quiche.  That's okay, it will deflate as it cools off.
 
There are so many things you can do with quiche.  I plan to make more tomorrow, substituting ham for the crab.  Good stuff! 
 
A note about the egg beaters... You can use real eggs if you like.  You will end up with a better product but at the expense of a few extra fat grams. 
 
Enjoy! 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Brad, thanks so much for that recipe! I'm on a low carb diet now, so I will probably make them without the crusts. But that will be a fun project to try out my new Coleman oven on!

    Love the tips on using fast food condiments instead of carrying big jars of mayo, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without a crust, it's almost as tasty as with a crust. On some of them I used 1/2 crust (just the bottom)

    Let me know how that new Coleman oven goes. :) Last night I ordered a new Coleman combination stove and grill.

    It's so fun to try new things. Each camping recipe that turns out good works just as well a trip or two on down the road. Good food makes for good memories!

    (Yep, I'm a condiment klepto... ketchup, creamers, mayo). I found the cutest little sauce cups for 25 cents at the gas station. One was buffalo sauce. That, a few chicken strips, a bit of cheese and a low carb tortilla would make a great buffalo chicken pizza. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ran off without the gas line for our camp stove. So I had to buy one of those one burner things that sit on top of a bottle of propane for emergency cooking.

    Unfortunately, I can't use my Coleman oven on it! I could probably use it on the stove inside the trailer, though, although it will really heat up the trailer.

    Right now I am visiting relatives who are all determined to feed me to death, so won't have a chance to do my own cooking for a few days!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment! Thank you!