Van Trekker

Checkout my vandwelling blog at http://vantrekker.com/ Thanks for visiting!

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Low Sugar Banana Coconut Cream Dessert

 
 
I was in need of some kind of a dessert for camping.  My dear friend, an African-American beauty named Alothina (I wish I was 25 years younger!), introduced me to the rich banana pudding dessert her family enjoys.  I loved it!  But my blood sugar went through the roof!  That's why I came up with this original but very simple coconut banana pudding that is about as close to "sin free" as you can get!


Low Sugar Banana Coconut Cream Dessert

18 vanilla wafers (+ or -)
1 package SUGAR FREE instant banana cream pudding
1 + 3/4 cups 1% milk
1 banana, sliced
1 single serving container of coconut flavored Greek style yogurt

In a small bowl (such as one of those throw-away type plastic bowls), spread a layer of Nilla Wafer cookies.  In a separate bowl, mix the pudding mix, Greek yogurt and milk a few minutes until thickened.  Spread some over the cookies, top with bananas, spread a little more pudding, etc.  If possible, end with the pudding covering the bananas so the air doesn't make the fruit turn brown.

Refrigerate overnight.  You can serve with whipped cream and/or sweetened coconut but it really doesn't need it.

Enjoy!  This recipe works great for a treat for camping.  Why did I use Greek yogurt?  It helps counteract the sugar in the cookies.

V.T.
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Banana pudding is my favorite dessert in the whole world. My whole family loves it!

    How wonderful to have a camping size, low sugar version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. It's a fun one out in the boonies. I kind of like the "adult flavor" you get from the coconut flavored Greek yogurt. You forget about the sugar.

      I'm still working on making those pineapple upside down cakes for camping. That's next on the list. I've got a good idea how to make it fun and easy. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to the pineapple upside down cake recipe. I forgot to bring my muffin tins this trip, but I do have two of the mini loaf pans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get going on that one pretty soon... That sounds tasty. Hopefully later this week I can get it done.

      In the meantime, I have a job interview for a long haul shuttle driver for railroad crew... I'd be driving a van! Sounds irresistable!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment! Thank you!